Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Community Service Project

the AQG had a community service project day on Tuesday. I was going to go, but decided with retreat starting Thursday, that was too much "gadding about". The block they are using for the project this time is like one I made several years ago. I alternated the "Crazy Nine-Patch" and "Stack 'N Slash" Star blocks in a quilt. I call it "State of Mind". See it on the left. I have no idea where I might have put the 9-patch pattern at, so, as it was a free pattern on the web, I decided to search the web for it. I was able to find one. The pattern says to use 9 squares of fabric, which makes 9 blocks. Of course I wanted 12 blocks, so I stacked 12 squares, which throws things off a little when it comes time to rotate the pieces. It was OK the first two cuts. I did get the top put together.
Now I need to make a couple more. I have another community service project I'd like to make it for, plus my daughter liked it too, and wants me to make her one.

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Color Challenge

Allatoona Quilters Guild, one of the guilds I belong to, is having a color challenge. Our finished project is due in May. These are the colors I drew at the January meeting, a pink and sky blue. I was really pleased with my colors until I went to make my project. I decided to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak, and make the Rhombi Quilt my daughter has been try to get me to make for a couple of years. After our guild meeting, a friend and I went to JoAnns and I picked out my fabrics, adding yellow for good measure. My daughter made me a pattern for the rhombus shape and a color layout of the quilt.

I got busy cutting the pieces and put them on the design wall. This is what it looked like. I didn't like this arrangement at all. Each of the colors, pink, blue and yellow just seem to jump out at me. So back to JoAnns I went with DD in tow, to find a nice floral print with all the colors in it.

DD made a new color layout for me to follow. We call this one "Rhombi in Plaid" I like this a slight bit better. I have the top sewn together now, but have no idea when I'll get around to quilting it.

When I did the new layout, I had some pieces left over. So decided to do this little stained glass wall hanging. It is finished and may end up being the one I take in May for the Color Challenge.

Saturday, January 27, 2007

My Saturday

I'm going to a Quilting Retreat next week. I'm spending today getting the projects ready that I plan on taking to retreat. I'm going to be working on some of my Christmas UFOs. One of the guilds I belong to is having a "Christmas in July" Challenge, so I'm trying to finish up those Christmas/Winter themed quilts I've been procrastinating over.