Friday, July 13, 2007
Yesterday we took everything out of the wrappings and dried the fabric on the fence. The fabric we dyed using the Shibori wrapping method didn't turn out well, as the pictures below show. So I still don't have any fabric for my borders. The green is too much green and the other pieces that turned out aren't big enough. I need at least a yard to do the 5" borders. I might could figure out something for doing a pieced border, but I'm just not feeling that creative at the moment.
The larger piece of fabric on the left is the one I had hoped to use. The pieces on the right are the ones that are too green. I really like the bottom half of the two center pieces. It is a shame the dye didn't penetrate all the layers of cloth. Those two were done on the pole, the one on the left was done on the larger cylinder.
Here are the rest of the fabrics. The small pieces in the center are our mop rags. The solid green is the one that was in the jar. I stopped by Hobby Lobby after the Needle Turners Bee meeting and bought some more airbrush paint for dying. They were out of the forest green and gold that I wanted, so had to get some other shades. Maybe we can mix the colors and get something close to the colors I'm wanting. I got a package of 6, black, white, green, blue, yellow and red and used my 40% off coupon. Got another bottle of fuchsia, but had to get sunrise yellow, which is way to oranegy, instead of the goldish color I wanted. Maybe it will tone down with some yellow or white added to it. I bought some white Kona cotton to try dying and see how that does. Being the stubborn person I am and because I like the looks of the way the Shibori wrap method looked. I will probably try it again and try to get a better saturation of the dye into the fabric. Now to get Dora scheduled for another dying attempt. Hope things go better this time.
Wednesday, July 11, 2007
I thought this top of Jan's was so cute. She makes some really fun quilts in bright colors.
I love this fabric line and just had to take a picture.
This is my friend, Sandra's (on the left) quilt. It is a wedding present that the couple have been waiting a good year and a half for. These aren't Sandra's colors and she had a hard time making a quilt using all neutral colors. It took her 6 months just to collect enough fabric.
I'm still working on my challenge quilt. I've gotten six more blocks made and have the parts for two more cut out.
I'm getting curious to see how this is going to turn out. I've got a colored diagram that I made of the quilt, but it really is hard to tell what it will look like, besides, I've changed some of the colors.
I've decided to try dying fabric for the borders of my roosting round robin. Dora is supposed to come over in a little bit and help me. Think we'll try the Shibori Wrapping Technique this time. We are using Createx Airbrush paint for the dying medium and use direct dying method. Hope I get some pretty fabric.
Friday, July 6, 2007
Tuesday, July 3, 2007
The fabric in the center of the stars in the middle row is our challenge fabric. The 3 Sister's Choice blocks on the bottom row are the challenge blocks. Plus we had to beg, barter, or steal some fabric from 3 of our quilting friends. I think I have all 3 of those fabrics in these blocks. So if worse comes to worse, and I don't get finished, I can put these 10 blocks together and still meet the rules of the challenge. I wanted to make my blocks with bright colors on a black background. Several years ago I was collecting a block of the month posted on the Internet done that way and it really caught my eye. I'm not sure were the pattern is right now and doubt that it had any Sister's Choice blocks in it. I decided to just make up my own layout.