Saturday, May 9, 2009

Shop Hop

Sandra and I did the North Georgia Shop Hop yesterday. We had a nice time. I'm sure glad I printed out back-up directions from Map Quest though. The GPS didn't always go the way we wanted to. We found that out right off the bat when it took us to Tate instead of Dawsonville for the first shop. We eventually found the shop. We had to call them, luckily they had cell service in that area. We were only a couple of miles down the road from them, so we found them easily.



This is Sandra standing out side Sew Memorable in Dawsonville. It was a nice little shop. I bought a yard of very pale pink fabric there. The were celebrating Arbor Day as their theme. They were dressed in camouflage shirts and one of the ladies was wearing tree branches. The other shops didn't play up there chosen holiday.




We ran into rain in Dahlonega. When we got to the Magical Threads, we had to park in a near by church parking lot and walk back to the shop. Just as we got parked, it started pouring rain with hail. It didn't last long, thankfully.

I bought 1 yd of black on white music fabric for Rae's birthday there. The shop owner lives on the upper floor.

The next stop, also in Dahlonega was The Common Thread. I bought the Turning Twenty - Simply Sashed book and 1/2 yd of striped fabric.


Then we headed for Hiawassee to Log Cabin Patchworks. It was a nice scenic drive on hilly, windy roads with hairpin curves. We made it there and ate lunch at Subway before finding the quilt shop, only to realize that I had left my purse in the booth at Subway. I dropped Sandra and rushed back to the restaurant and found my purse still in the booth, untouched. Thank goodness! Back to the quilt shop I went, luckily I didn't get lost. I was in a panic and sure wasn't thinking too straight. I bought another Turning Twenty book there.



From there we headed to Blairsville and Fabric Center. It was in a strip mall a little ways off the round-a-bout going around the court house. There I found some pretty FQ bundles, so got two.


We headed to Blue Ridge and our last two stops. We went to Country Stitches first. It was a cute little shop in an old house in the down town district right across the street from the railroad tracks.

We found their sale section and I got the end of bolt of a pretty brown paisley print for 40% off. Then we headed for our last stop, Mountain Holly Quilters on the Appalachian Hwy. There I got a FQ and some thread I hope will work for the Simply Squares quilt that's on my list of tops to quilt this month.

At each shop we received five 5" charms fitting their holiday theme to use in the Charm Table Runner pattern we received and a little charm. Doubt that I will get around to making the table runner, I'll probably add them to my 5" charm collection.

In spite of the goofy directions the GPS gave us on occasion, we made good time. We'd follow the directions I printed out and eventually the GPS would get with the plan. On the way home we passed only one area that had restaurants and none appealed to us. So we ended up being back in Cartersville before we found a place to eat supper. Can't wait till next year to do it again.

No comments: