Wednesday, January 30, 2008

So Far This Week

The I Spy quilt is quilted! Now on to the big sister quilt. Hope I can get it on the frame today or tomorrow. I want to take advantage of Dora not popping in today to work on her ducky quilt some more. I've nearly gotten all the blocks sewn into rows, just one more to finish. Then I can start on the borders. I'd also like to put it on the design wall so I can see what it looks like. It reminds me of Christmas tree ornaments. The pattern was supposed to be done in Asian fabrics and look like Japanese lanterns. I may be sorry I used that pattern, but I didn't want to do the usual snowball block alternated with 9-patches, so this was a little different. I wanted a large square to show case the pirate duckies and couldn't think of anything that would be a little different than I've already done. I kept seeing ads for the Asian quilt kit in my quilting magazines and thought it was a different take on the snow ball/9-patch combo. I'm making the top from the picture in the magazine, so I had to figure out my own measurements. The only other pattern I could think of was one of the Turning Twenty patterns, but she doesn't like those patterns. She doesn't care for that random look. Too many different fabrics I guess. She must not have heard of using less fabrics and planning the lay out. The funny things is, she did approve the "Turning Twenty Around the Block" pattern for her boy friends quilt.

I'm thinking about taking a sewing machine repair class. It is March 3, 4 & 5 and will be in Tennessee, not far from Knoxville. Hope the class doesn't fill up before I get a chance to register. There is a $100 deposit required at registration. The 3 day class costs $375 if you register early. It would be worth it just to be able to service my machines and not have to pay the $89 to have someone else do it. My Bernina is the only one I get serviced about every 12 - 18 months. It really should have a good cleaning and oiling every 6 months, as much as I use it. My other machines are inexpensive machines and aren't worth the cost of having them serviced. This way I could do it myself and may be prolong their life.

The day is wasting. I'd better get to quilting.

No comments: